Six Ways to be Active in the Workplace
Many of us spend most of our time at work. For some our jobs keep us active and for others it can be many hours of being sedentary. If the latter is something you experience here are six ways you can be more active in your workplace.
- If your job requires you to talk on the phone throughout the day stand up while you’re doing so.
- If you sit at a desk and do all of your work on a computer set an alarm on your phone to stand up and do air squats, calf raises, stretches or all 3 every 30 minutes.
- If accessible, find time either on your lunch break or a different break to walk outside or on a provided treadmill for 15-30 minutes.
- If your workplace provides a gym, come in earlier or stay later after your shift to get your workout in before you return home.
- Even though this may be considered outside of your shift, riding your bike to and from work will give you more movement in your day.
- If you can choose between taking an elevator or stairs, take the stairs.
Physical activity throughout our day is so good for the body, but make sure it’s not replacing your planned exercise. Doing both throughout the day will continually give you the benefits we see from an active lifestyle such as: more energy, better movement quality, and changes to body composition.